Cuthbert Law Offices, with offices in both Petersburg and Richmond, Virginia, knows that catastrophic injuries happen in unpredictable ways, often through no fault of the victim. And Cuthbert Law Offices is prepared to respond. When preparing to for a personal injury case, time is of the essence. Contact Cuthbert Law offices now for a free consultation regarding your personal injury case.
Cuthbert Law Offices, with offices in Petersburg, Virginia and Richmond, Virginia, knows that catastrophic injuries happen in unpredictable ways, often through no fault of the victim. And Cuthbert Law Offices is prepared to respond.
Where to Start in Your Personal Injury Case
If you’ve been injured by a negligent third party, there is a good chance you are legally entitled to compensation. To get the justice you deserve, here are the steps you should start taking today:
- Act fast. The more time that passes, the more difficult it will be to gather evidence for your case. Also, the other party may use your delay in response to argue that your injuries were not severe enough for you to seek treatment or to seek legal help right away. If possible, get someone to take photos at the scene of the injury and ask witnesses for their contact information.
- Get treatment for your injury right away, take photos as you recover from your injury, and always follow up on needed medical care. If you don’t seek care due to monetary concerns or inconvenience, it will be harder to argue the true extend of your injuries in court.
- Find a reputable personal injury firm. If you need help doing this, read this blog post on how to find the right personal injury lawyer.
- Keep all documentation from medical appointments and procedures, updates from your physicians, and pay stubs. Make copies of everything for your lawyer including medical bills and records of lost income or wages, and keep your firm updated on all of your medical treatments and prognosis.
After you’ve found a personal injury lawyer to represent you, read this full list of the 8 things you can do to help them win your case.
"Cuthbert Law Offices has helped my family so much. They are willing to go over and beyond for their clients."Dawn J.
"I would like to thank Culbert Law firm for helping me with my claim."Naomi P.
"I was recommended to Cuthbert Law Offices in October of 2016. I was recommended by a well known individual in the city."Tamekia S.
Do You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere, and at any time. When you or a loved one is injured due to someone else's negligence, the aftermath can be overwhelming. From medical bills and lost wages to physical and emotional suffering, the consequences can be life-altering. In such situations, hiring a personal injury lawyer is not just advisable; it's often crucial to protect your rights and secure the compensation you deserve.
Here are some key reasons why you might need a personal injury lawyer:
- Expertise in the Legal System: Personal injury cases can be complex, involving a web of laws, regulations, and legal procedures. An experienced personal injury lawyer knows the ins and outs of the legal system and can navigate it efficiently on your behalf. They can help you understand the laws relevant to your case and ensure that you meet all deadlines and requirements.
- Evaluation of Your Case: Before proceeding with a claim, it's essential to assess the viability of your case. A skilled personal injury attorney can evaluate the circumstances of your accident, the extent of your injuries, and the evidence available to determine whether you have a strong case. They'll help you understand your chances of success and the potential compensation you might receive.
- Negotiation Skills: Insurance companies often employ aggressive tactics to minimize payouts. A personal injury lawyer has the negotiation skills to stand up to these companies, ensuring that you are not coerced into accepting an inadequate settlement. They will work to secure the maximum compensation available to cover your medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering.
- Thorough Investigation: In order to build a strong case, gathering evidence is crucial. Personal injury lawyers have the resources and expertise to conduct thorough investigations, including interviewing witnesses, obtaining medical records, and consulting with experts, if necessary. This diligence can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case.
- Representation in Court: While many personal injury cases are settled out of court, some may require litigation. If your case goes to trial, having a personal injury lawyer by your side is invaluable. They will present your case persuasively and advocate for your rights in court, ensuring that your voice is heard.
- Peace of Mind: Dealing with the aftermath of an accident is stressful. Hiring a personal injury lawyer can provide you with peace of mind, knowing that a dedicated professional is handling the legal aspects of your case, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
Common Types of Personal Injury Cases
At Cuthbert Law, we have successfully handled countless personal injury cases that cover a wide variety of situations and levels of intricacy. Below are some of the most common types of personal injury lawsuits and brief examples of cases we’ve handled.
Car and Truck Accidents
Everyone knows that car accidents and truck accidents are very common. What everyone may not know is that if you are injured in an accident and it isn’t your fault, you are entitled to damages that cover the cost of your pain, suffering, inconvenience, medical bills, and lost wages.
The Cuthbert Law legal team recently won a settlement of $925,000 for the family of a 16-year-old victim who died after their vehicle hit the back of a truck that was stopped without the use of any reflective warning triangles or other hazard signals.
Medical Malpractice cases are not as uncommon as you think. The world of healthcare has become increasing difficult for patients to navigate and mistakes get made, even by top doctors and hospitals. If you believe that you are a victim of medical malpractice, take this possibility seriously—because malpractice can occur anywhere.
In a recent case handled by our legal team, a puzzled family did not understand why their breadwinner became a quadriplegic after a radiologist at the area’s best teaching hospital found no abnormalities in an MRI and the family member was discharged home. We obtained the hospital’s MRI images and gave them to our own radiologist, who found evidence of an unstable bone in the patient’s neck, overlooked by the hospital’s radiologist. The bone shifted and severely damaged the victim’s spinal cord shortly after he was discharged with a clean bill of health. Learn more about this case here.
Personal injury cases involving burns tend to be more involved due to the severity of this type of injury, long recovery times, and the level of emotional pain and suffering that can follow the victim throughout the rest of his or her life.
Cuthbert Law recently handled a burn injury case where the victim received severe burns over a substantial portion his body when an explosion occurred at his place of work. We were able to put together an expert team using a variety of resources and won our client a substantial settlement. Read more about this case and other burn injury cases here.
General Negligence can take many forms. Cuthbert Law personal injury lawyers have successfully defended victims that have experienced negligence in countless ways.
A recent example if from a case where a young man phoned us and said that the police had just killed his innocent 18-year-old sister, whose only mistake was to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. We investigate and discover that a policeman was grossly negligent. Please see the resulting decision of the Supreme Court of Virginia in our case of Green v. Ingram, 269 Va. 281, 608 S.E.2d 917 (2005), remanding the case for re-trial. On retrial, we obtained a substantial verdict in favor of the two daughters of the young woman and on appeal the Supreme Court of Virginia upheld the verdict. Ingram v. Harper, 2007 WL 92801 (Va. 2007).
A lawyer at Cuthbert Law Offices handled each of these cases, and many more. It’s often a puzzle to figure out what went wrong, but attorneys Charles H. Cuthbert, Jr. and Richard M. Cuthbert see these puzzles as great challenges, yielding huge personal satisfaction when they unravel the unknowns, identify the explanation, and lead the victim or the victim’s survivors to justice.
Our philosophy is this. If the damages are catastrophic and the victim is free from fault, we will leave no stone unturned in our effort to figure out what went wrong; we then use the law to make a bad situation better.
But time is not on your side. You do not want the wrongdoer’s insurance investigator to talk to key witnesses before we do. You do not want key facts to disappear.
So, if you or a loved one has suffered a catastrophic injury or has died as a result of another person’s negligence, contact Cuthbert Law Offices as soon as possible. Our firm is on call by phone for emergencies 24 hours a day. If you call after hours, tell the answering service that you must talk with an attorney on an emergency basis about a death or serious injury. We are here to help
Helping the Injured Since 1977
Personalized Approach to Each Case
Work Directly With Your Attorney
A Boutique Firm Specializing in Personal Injury