SRMC to Pay 1.6 Million in Fire Lawsuit


This Personal Injury litigation involved a New Year’s Eve fire at Southside Regional Medical Center. The fire was started by a patient who was smoking in her bed. The cigarette ignited oxygen in the room and started the fire. The fire department was slow to respond because the hospital had placed bags over the smoke detectors to prevent false alarms. The automatic response to the fire department was also disconnected. The fire and the delayed response left several patients dead and many injured.

These cases settled for an undisclosed amount.