Truck accidents are deadly. They are among the most lethal type of crash occurring on Virginia highways and Interstates, and roadways nationwide. If you were in a Virginia truck accident, a trucking accident attorney from Cuthbert Law Offices can help you.
TRUCK ACCIDENT REPORTS
Below we share findings from truck accident reports. The following findings were obtained from leading universities and government establishments to supply you with trucking accident statistics that you might not be aware of.
As more and more Virginians decide to embark on their summer vacations, it is worthwhile to remain aware of trucks on the road and be mindful of safe driving habits. After you have finished packing, we suggest you look at the summer driving tips from safecar.gov.
If you are heading South for your vacation this year, be extra careful: both North Carolina and Florida have a high amount of truck crashes. A published trucking accident report from The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute in 2011 observed that from 2004 to 2008, North Carolina had anywhere from 135 to 198 truck crashes, while Florida had anywhere from 299 to 483.
According to the U. S. Department of Transportation’s Large Truck Crash Causation Study, drivers of large trucks and other vehicles involved in truck crashes are 10 times more likely to be the cause of an accident than other factors such as vehicle performance, road conditions, and weather.
Did you know that there are about 15.5 million trucks operating on U. S. Highways?
TRUCKING ACCIDENT STATISTICS
- 500,000 trucking accidents occur each year in the United States.
- 1 in every 8 traffic fatalities involves a collision with a truck.
- Roughly 130,000 people are injured in truck accidents each year.
- Driver fatigue is the cause of 30% of all commercial truck accidents.
- The top five driver-related factors for large trucks in fatal crashes were speeding-related, distraction/inattention, failure to keep in proper lane, vision obscured, and failure to yield right-of-way.
- 84% of fatal truck crashes occur in normal weather conditions.
- 362 pedestrians are killed each year in accidents involving trucks
- 87 cyclists are killed each year in accidents involving trucks.
TRUCK ACCIDENT STATISTICS 2010
- 3261 large truck fatal crashes.
- 3484 large trucks in fatal crashes.
- 3675 people killed in large truck fatal crashes.
- 529 people were killed in the U.S. in truck accidents.
- There was a 12% increase in the number of people injured in truck accidents, or 19,000 people.
TRUCK ACCIDENT STATISTICS 2008
- Large truck tractors pulling semi-trailers accounted for 62% of the large trucks involved in fatal crashes and 48% of the large trucks involved in nonfatal crashes. Of the 37,261 people killed in motor vehicle crashes in 2008, 4,229 died in crashes that involved a large truck.
- 90,000 people were injured in crashes involving large trucks.
TRUCK CRASH? CONTACT CUTHBERT LAW OFFICES
At Cuthbert Law Offices, we understand the trauma you endure if you or someone you love has been the victim of a truck crash in Virginia. That is why you can count on us for support. Inside the courtroom you can expect an engaged and alert trucking accident attorney, unafraid to vigorously pursue justice to a satisfactory conclusion.